Tomorrow (Tuesday January 15th) sees the first Facebook press event of 2013. While the social network has remained tight-lipped about what to expect – the invite simply read: “Come and see what we’re building” – this hasn’t stopped the rumour mill churning out plenty of speculative ideas in the last few days.
Firstly, the consensus is that we’re in for a big announcement, given that not many events are hosted at Facebook’s corporate headquarters in Menlo Park, California – the location for tomorrow’s meeting. But what would constitute ‘big’ for Facebook these days? The social network has made some pretty punchy moves over the last year, such as buying Instagram and floating on the stock market to name but two.
Of course, there are several items in the works that have been spoken of before in varying degrees of detail, so there is an element of education to the guesses, but there is no real agreement on which of the possible answers it might be. Josh Constine over at TechCrunch usually has the inside track on what’s going on at Facebook, but even he is only able to speculate on what will be revealed tomorrow.
Some of Josh’s ideas sound pretty cool (I particularly like the sound of standalone feeds for different content types), so if you want to read more about them check out his article on TechCrunch. We’ll just list what he thinks Facebook should be working on:
- Facebook Search – For Businesses, Posts and People
- An easier way to find things on Timeline [he obviously hasn’t heard of SocialSafe ;-)]
- Friend Management so I can hide people I don’t care about
- Facebook For Cars [not that weird when you actually read it!]
- Standalone Feeds for different content types
- A revamp of Notes to take on Tumblr
- A real video chat competitor to Google Hangouts
- New advertising channels to show it’s all grown up
- A Facebook Phone – or maybe it shouldn’t
What would you like Facebook to announce tomorrow? Something along the lines of what Josh Constine has written about, or is there something missing from your Facebook experience that you hope to be developed? Let us know in the comments below.