One of our most continually popular topics on this blog is how to download Facebook Messages. This is probably old news to most of our users, but for anyone just getting to grips with the product or anyone who hasn’t heard of SocialSafe before, you are able to download all of your Facebook Messages to your own machine using the SocialSafe social media back up tool.
We recently put together a Slideshare on this walking you through how to get set up with SocialSafe, how to download your Facebook Messages and how to do more with them once you have your messages stored on your own machine:
Here are the text instructions in full:
1. You can download your Facebook Messages using an application called SocialSafe. Download SocialSafe for free from http://socialsafe.net/download
2. Once you’ve installed SocialSafe, add your Facebook account to your SocialSafe journal by clicking on ‘Add Your Facebook account’, and logging in via Facebook’s login box.
3. After adding your Facebook account, make sure that you have Messages selected, then click ‘Sync Account Now’ to start downloading your content. SocialSafe will now download your Facebook content, including your Messages, to your own machine.
4. Once the sync has completed, go to the ‘Accounts’ page and click on three bars icon for your Facebook account. This will open the drop-down menu, showing you all the different types of content you have backed up from your Facebook account. From here you can select ‘Messages’.
5. You can now view each of the message threads that you are part of, whether they are with individuals or part of group conversations. Your conversations are listed chronologically by the time and date of the last message in the thread. The default setting is to show the most recent threads first, but you can reverse the order by clicking the double-arrows in the top right corner. Clicking on a thread will open the entire message history with that person/group.
6. Clicking on the Search bar allows you to find any word or phrase in your entire Facebook Message history… Great for those times when you can’t remember who it was that recommended that restaurant to you, or for settling a bet that was agreed upon a long time ago!
7. Clicking on the icon in the top right corner of SocialSafe will enable content selection. Once you have selected a message, or messages you can:
– Add them to a Collection
– Hide them
– Export them to PDF
– Export them to File
In addition to the Slideshare presentation we also have a selection of tutorial videos that can be found on our YouTube Channel which will help you get the most out of the additional features found within your SocialSafe library.